“Mom, I’m going to try to go vegan this week, to see if I can do it, ” Claire announced a couple of weeks ago. Claire is my thirteen years old who once told me she was going to “try” being a vegetarian two years ago and hasn’t touched a piece of meat since.
“Okay,” I said hesitantly, worrying that about her becoming anemic, and her bones cracking from protein and calcium deficiencies. Then, I started to get overwhelmed about spending extra time in the kitchen preparing separate meals for her.
Like most busy working moms, getting food on the table is a challenge as it is. This has added a whole new dimension to the mealtime mix. At first, I started to panic, however, Claire assured me she would give me a shopping list and meal ideas. As promised, every week when I go shopping she gives me a list plus her meals for the week.
As a result, we end up at Trader Joe’s, every week. In addition to having. a variety of vegan options, it is wallet-friendly. They also provide a product list to make things easier.
Here are this week’s top five picks that Claire is loving from Trader Joe’s.
- Thai Vegetable Gyoza– These are great for an after school snack. They can also be used for a light meal, paired with veggies and rice.
2. 72 % cacao dark chocolate- This satisfies the sweet tooth, plus it has a boost of iron.
3. Jalapeno Lime Almond Dip- It is a little spicy, but is perfect with chips, veggies, or in a wrap.
4. Vegan Kale, Cashew, and Basil Pesto- Delicious on pasta, and wraps.
5. Cauliflower Gnocchi- Last night we made the Scampi Gnocchi from The Wildtree Make-Ahead Veggie Lovers Kit using this product. My husband even liked it!
Help this newly vegan cooking mom with your favorite products! What is your vegan go to’s? Comment below!